Christian has an assignment to read a non-fiction book and write a book report. The report is more of a reporting of facts than an actual story, as it is more of an outline form on poster board. I started with him, with full intentions of helping him complete it. However, about 30 minutes in, I gave up and sent him to Randy. When he doesn't want to do something, he can D R A GGGGGGGG it out like a pro. I have no patience for this, Randy is better, but about 1.5 hours in, he tells me to jump in anytime!! God forbid you tell him that he needs at least 6 facts about the story, and to write 2 or 3 sentences about his opinion of the book. By God, that is ALL your're going to get. When I prompted him to write a couple more thoughts, he quoted me verbatim that I said 2 or 3 sentences, as he had already written three. Same thing happened on the "at least 6 facts", he had written six, never mind that we had only covered up to Chapter 3!!!!! Let me tell you that going above and beyond, is completely BEYOND his comprehension. Lordy, Lordy, please let him play ball for a living or else he is NEVER going to leave my house!!!
The really sad part is, once he got past the fact that Babe Ruth's parents abandoned him at a reform school, and got to the baseball facts, he really liked reading the book. But, hell would freeze over before he admitted it!
The teacher said that parents could help with the report, but it needed to be a true reflection of the child's work. I can assure you, she certainly won't think we did it for him. Three excrutiatingly painful hours later, the finished product
Randy said he feels like someone with turrets syndrome that has been holding it in. He thinks he should go into a closet and should just scream every expletive imagineable as loud as possible to release the frustration. Thankfully he had the patience of Jobe, which I certainly didn't have. God gives you two parents for a reason, and today I am most thankful that I had a partner in this journey!!
No comments:
Post a Comment